Monday, September 12, 2011

It might not look like much

But I have done a tremendous amount of work on the second sock. I spent about a week at the cabin, and had grand plans to start and finish the chenille project, and to go running every morning, and to be an all-around productive person. It didn't quite work out that way though. I had two migraines on the only two decent running days, and then the remnants of tropical storm Lee hit us, and it rained and rained and rained some more. And on Labor Day, Tech Support was on the ladder cleaning the gutters (he's Tech Support in a number of fields) when the ladder slipped and he fell and broke his toe and banged up pretty much the rest of his body. So needless to say he wasn't available to help me with the chenille project.

So anyway, I finished the thread runner! But I haven't yet figured out the best way to block and starch it. Should I soak it and pin it and let it dry before starching? Should I spray it and then pin it? It's going to take about one million pins, so I worry that it'll have dried out before I can get it pinned in place. Any advice would be most welcome.

So pretty! I hope it'll be even prettier once it's flat.
I also got the new bamboo warp onto the loom a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had the energy to start threading the heddles. I'm starting to think I need a remedial warping course. For some reason getting the warp onto the back beam has become a tedious chore that I hate. And you can see from the photos that it wasn't exactly a smooth and even result. Hopefully I didn't mess things up too badly.

As for the sock, I finished the cuff and the leg, and am now about halfway through the heel flap (not pictured).

This is going so much more quickly without any other projects to distract me.
Perhaps next week I will have gotten over my warping frustration and will have some real progress to show. Fingers crossed that Tech Support can walk by next weekend!


She said...

Poor Tech Support! Give him a hug for me! :) I haven't posted forever, I was in Oregon, then dad was here, and then, on the long "I'll get sh*t done now" weekend - - I put in a bid on a house. It's been non-stop since then. More on my blog (including pictures) as soon as I can get to it. Almost there, I think.
The bamboo warp may be a pain, but in the pic it looks like it's a pretty color.....

She said...

And, BTW - the thread runner looks amazing!