Monday, December 05, 2011

The making of a dragon

Ok! The mystery amigurumi may now be revealed. The child's birthday party was yesterday, so now I can blab all about the dragon.

First, we start out with the body, as described last week.

He pretty much looks like an earthworm at this point.
Also from last week, all the bits and pieces.

Now he has a mouth so he looks slightly less worm-like. The mouth is in two pieces, a top jaw and a bottom jaw.
Then we add some eye ridges, or brows as they were called in the directions.
Next up: horns!
Now a crest along the back. Looking more dragon-like by the minute.
Feets!
And arms...rawr!
Some fringe along the jaw for added oomph.
A long mustache to make him wise.
And finally, some eyes.
Here's a back view. He stands up much better now that he has legs. Also, the construction of the arms and legs was genius. There's a bump in the middle, created with short rows, that when sewn together causes the legs to bend and have knees. Genius!
And a final front view.
All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how this project turned out. It didn't spiral nearly as much as the one in the directions did. I'm not sure whether that's because I'm such a tight crocheter or because I was pushing the turns in the wrong direction when I was going backwards with the left hand. I took my time putting all the pieces on, putting one item on a day for about a week. I'm pretty sure that saved my sanity.

And I fully realize this is not age appropriate for a 1-year-old. His mother can put it on a shelf until he's ready.

3 comments:

Andi said...

OMG!! That is FABULOUS!!! I can't tell you what a wonderful job you did on it!! Awesome, awesome....

Michelle said...

Thanks so much!!

She said...

OK the dragon? SERIOUSLY ROCKS!!! He's amazing! Beard and feet with knees? Crazy!

Catching up on your blog - you've been busy! Also loved the bamboo project and the hoodie scarf, you are prolific, to say the least! I took yarn for two hats with me, but as it turns out, you can't knit underwater. :) I got exactly 4" of the first hat done. I think the pattern is going to come out nicely, though. Now I'm just recovering from jet-lag and trying to unpack the kitchen and living room, so I can put up a tree - - if I can find the Christmas decorations!