Monday, April 04, 2011

Progress! Relatively speaking

This weekend I started the pattern section of my new sock. It's possible that I messed up along the way and it's possible that I had to go to my LYS for an emergency intervention because I have no idea how to un-knit. With crochet, if you screw up you just rip it back to where the mistake was made. With knitting, however, you have to carefully un-knit each stitch. I've more or less figured out how to do that with a simple knit or purl stitch, but this pattern calls for fun things like "slip one stitch knitwise, knit 2 together, pass stitch over," which is knit-speak for "decrease two." I have no idea how to undo that.

While the lovely ladies at Looped were figuring out where I went wrong (I totally skipped two knit stitches ... duh), I also got some advice on buttons for the thread sweater that I finished some time ago. I had found some super cute daisy buttons, at Wal-Mart of all places, but they wouldn't fit through the damn button holes. So I went for some pretty blue glass buttons, and they worked like a charm!

The sweater is currently being blocked for about the 80th time. It WILL eventually be the right shape.

Once the Looped ladies figured out what when wrong with the pattern (and it's really a very simple pattern, 10 stitches over 4 rows) I moved right along. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing.

I managed five repeats of the pattern this weekend before my hands cramped up and my elbow got stiff.
Slightly blurry, but a better shot of the pattern. Yarnovers create holes, which can be scary, but also pretty.

I also had planned to wind a warp for my poor neglected Baby Wolf, but I couldn't find the pattern I had in mind anywhere in my house. Any weavers who recognize this pattern, from 2005 or earlier, please let me know. I thought I had gotten it from Handwoven, but I couldn't find it in any of my back issues. I made a thousand of these things, but for some reason the pattern is in hiding.  http://tundragirl.blogspot.com/2005/09/off-loom.html

1 comment:

She said...

Very Nice! Finished my socks last night, washing them now. I tried a 'tester' of a pattern, but was using some bulky, throw-away verigated cotton yarn, so it just didn't look right. Looking forward to trying again, I have a lovely sage green in my yarn basket. I find the toes look really 'pointy' to me on the knitted sock when they are off my body, but on my foot they are fine. Love the buttons on the sweater!