Monday, May 09, 2011

Grinding halt

I did nothing this past week, apart from go to the gym, work, and watch tv. I just couldn't work up the energy to start my second sock or continue with my new weaving project.

Until this weekend, when I was faced with crushing boredom. I started the second sock on Saturday morning, but I'm not going to bore you with another blow-by-blow on that. Once is enough!

And then Sunday I was still unbelievably bored, so I did a whole bunch of work on the loom.

I threaded all the heddles, which took several hours and left me with a very sore back (you have to reach over and through the loom to get the next thread and put it through the heddle, and I don't have a great chair for my loom ... it's not at the right height so I have to hunch way over).

Here we are about a third of the way done. I had to stop and stretch and do other things between each repeat of the pattern or my back would probably have seized up.
And here we are, all 329 ends threaded through and shoved over to the right. On to the next step!
After that I took a brief break to eat some lunch and stretch out my poor back, then it was back to the loom to sley the reed. I don't know what it is about tencel, but I really love working with it and rarely have a problem with the projects I make with it. And it's eco-friendly, and made from wood pulp!

That's what I like to see: order out of chaos.
Here it is from the top, looking all nice and orderly.
Finally, I fixed the treadles so that when they're pressed down they'll raise up the correct shafts.

So. Very. Dusty.
And that's about as far as I'm able to get on this project until I make it back out to the cabin. I only have two shuttles, and they're both in use on the alpaca project on the cabin loom, plus I only have one bobbin winder, and it's also at the cabin.

What else did I do this weekend to try to alleviate the boredom? I washed the windows, gave the stove top a deep clean, read a book from start to finish, watched one bad movie and one good movie, and busted out the nail polish. It's spring now so it's time to release the toes!

No comments: